In My Opinion
Consider one of the following current social issues – or one of your choice:
- Gun violence
- Economic inequality
- Violent crime
For the initial post, address the following:
- State your position on one of these issues – are you for, against, or neutral? Explain why. Avoid vagueness or ambiguity in your response. Make your position very clear.
- Examine how you have formed that opinion.
- How well do you think you know the facts?
- Do you know and understand statistical information that applies to the issue?
- Do you think you have formed your opinion using only System-1 thinking, or have you applied System-2?
- What part have heuristics, cognitive bias, and dominance structuring played in how you have formed your opinions?
The initial post is not about how “correct” your position is; it is about how you arrived at your position on the issue. This discussion requires application of metacognition – thinking about how you think.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least one peer. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
In your responses, look for another student’s post, either on the same or a different issue. Choose, where possible, a peer whose initial post has not yet been examined by another student, and examine it. Do you agree or disagree with your peer?
- Is your initial reaction to your peer “So, right; you bet!” or is it “So wrong, you’re all wet!”
- Examine carefully your thinking in response to your peers:
- What part, if any, have facts, heuristics, or dominance structuring played in your response?
- What part, if any, has cognitive bias played in your response?
- Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside source)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of r