MSW 6007: Week 5 – Assignment: Apply Critical Thinking to Evaluate a Peer-Reviewed Empirical Article
Select and examine a peer-reviewed empirical article using the same social work topic you examined in Week 3. For this new assignment, use the NCU library resources to search for a peer-reviewed article on your topic that specifically uses one of the three research methods/designs covered this week–either survey research, evaluation research, or single-subject design. The article should focus on a social work population, emphasizing high-quality, ethical research with diverse and oppressed populations.
Prepare a written critique of the article you selected. Begin with a brief summary of the article, the method, and the findings. Then, address the following:
- Identify the research method employed by the article, whether it is survey research, evaluation research, or a single subject design. Explain how you knew which method was used.
- Assess how well the research problem is defined. In your opinion, is it too narrow or broad? Explain.
- Determine if the researcher(s) discuss the role of theory in the research. If so, how does this contribute to the study? If not, how does the omission affect the study?
- Explain if the research purposes, questions, and/or hypotheses flow logically from the introductory material.
- Explain if the researchers adequately describe the steps taken for the protection of human subjects, informed consent, research ethics, and confidentiality.
- Determine if the analysis was statistical or non-statistical.
- Was the description of the results easy to understand? Explain your rationale.
- Determine if the descriptions of research procedures and methods were sufficiently detailed. Were any important details missing?
- Do the researchers imply if their research proved something? Explain if you believe the researchers’ results prove something.
- Assess the researcher(s)’ acknowledgment and discussion of the study’s limitations.
- Would you be proud to have your name on this research as a co-author?
Support your assignment with at least three scholarly resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including seminal articles, may be included.
Length: 4-6 pages, not including title and reference pages