Double book report. Create a comparative analysis between Grant’s Playing the Whore and Jay’s Out of the Darkness. You will do a book report / book review and tell me what they have in common, where they differ, and the strengths and weaknesses of each of them. You must apply what you have learned from lectures, textbook, and other readings as you assess these two books. 4 PAGES
- Themes: Compare and Contrast the two books (this is your main thesis)
As You Read
- Characters: Who are the main characters? What happens to them? Did you like them? Were there good and bad characters?
- Main Ideas: What is the main idea of the book? What happens? What did you learn that you did not know before?
- Quotes: What parts did you like best? Are there parts that you could quote to make your report more enjoyable?
- Analysis and Evaluation: What did you learn? Who are the authors? What do these texts have in common? What are their strengths and weaknesses? How would you evaluate them overall? How can you apply them to the other core readings from class? What did you learn from these books?
- Principles/characters: What elements did you like best? Which characters did you like best and why? How does the author unfold the story or the main idea of the book?
- Organize: Make sure that most of it summarizes the work. Then you may analyze the core themes (violence, fraud, empowerment, hope) or themes of the work.
- Your Evaluation: Choose several points to discuss about the book. What worked well for genre? What major themes, motifs, or terms does the book introduce, and how effective are they? Did the book appeal to you on an emotional or logical way?
- Recommend: Would you recommend this book to others? Why? What would you tell them before they read it? What would you talk about after you read it?
- Synthesis: Tie the themes of these books to the bigger concepts in the human trafficking text by Burke, where do they fit in? Be sure to cite Burke a few times as well