Intervention Video Substance Abuse and alcohol abuse
Events and/or experiences in life can bump us off our normal human developmental trajectory. As a human service provider, you may have the opportunity to use a variety of interventions. An intervention is something you do with a client that helps them get “back on track.”
For example: This assignment will give you an opportunity to practice an intervention skill. You are asked to do the following:
- Ask someone you know to act as your client in this learning process. Your volunteer must be willing to play the part of a client with an issue that will be presented in the intervention session.
- Have the client complete a consent form.
- The topic (s) for the intervention session must be decided upon prior to the session start.
- The session should last approximately 30 minutes. (± 5 min)
- During the session, you need to demonstrate the following skill:
- Statement of encouragement to identify one or more client strengths
- Use Reflective listening
- Use of open questions
- Use an intervention with the client
- Video record your counseling intervention with your client and submit the resulting file to your instructor for review through the Kaltura Mashup within Blackboard.
- When setting up the video recorder, please position the camera so that both you and your “client’s/friend’s” faces are visible.
Along with the a copy of the file, please submit a written overview using the following format:
- Indicate the name of your client (alias name only)
- Describe the client profile (e.g., age, race, appearance during session, other relevant contextual information)
- Identify the client’s goal(s) for the session
- Any other relevant information about the client
- Describe the physical surroundings of where the session is held
- Indicate the general mood of your client before, during, and following the session
- What visible clues reaffirm or concern you as you have counseled the client
- Describe the content of the session (e.g., topics discussed)
- Describe the client’s hopes/fears
- Describe the client’s response to the information discussed
- Describe your own thoughts and feelings during this experience
- Download the attached file “Informed Consent To Video Tape.pdf”. After completion of the required information and signatures, digitize a copy for submission.
- Include the digitized file with the submission of the video.
- Videos are easily uploaded to Blackboard using the Kaltura Mashup, directions are attached to the assignment link however size can quickly become an issue. There is no need for HD quality video. Please save your video as a medium quality file (such as you would do for a YouTube upload). While Kaltura will take most video formats, you will find it easier to upload your file if you use one of the standard formats such as .wmv, .avi, .mp4, and .mov. Additional directions are in the attached file “Submitting_a_Video_Assignment_Using_Kaltura.pdf”