Database Systems and Database Models
Assignment : Database Systems and Database Models
*****Oracle Server may be used to test and compile the SQL Queries developed for this assignment- Screenshots needs to be imported into the assignment***** <–Important
Imagine that you have been hired as a consultant to assist in streamlining the data processing of an international based organization that sells high-end electronics. The organization has various departments such as payroll, human resources, finance, marketing, sales, and operations. The sales department is the only department where employees are paid a commission in addition to their yearly salary and benefits. All other departments compensate their employees with a yearly salary and benefits only. Commission is paid by multiplying the employee’s commission rate by the total amount of product units sold. You have access to the following data sets:
- Employee (EmpNumber, EmpFirstName, EmpLastName, CommissionRate, YrlySalary, DepartmentID, JobID)
- Invoice (InvNumber, InvDate, EmpNumber, InvAmount)
- InvoiceLine (InvLineNumber, InvNumber, ProductNumber, Quantity)
- Product (ProductNumber, ProductDescription, ProductCost)
- Department (DepartmentID, DepartmentDescription)
- Job (JobID, JobDescription)
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Design a query that will allow the finance department to determine the commissions paid to specific employees of the sales department for the month of December. Note: You will need to generate the tables described above (Employee, Invoice, InvoiceLine, Product, Department, and Job) in order to compare and validate your code. Validated query code must be part of your paper.
- Compare the code of the query you designed in Question one (1) to one that would show how much total compensation is paid to each employee for the same month.
- Determine and explain the factors necessary to ensure referential integrity.
- Create an object-oriented model to show how the tables are interrelated through the use of graphical tools. Make sure that you are able to show the relationship types such as 1:M, 1:1, or M:1. Additionally, remember to include the determined factors from the previous assignment requirement. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Identify which data components are the entities and attributes, and the relationship between each using an object representation diagram through the use of graphical tools. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Describe how Big Data could be used to assist in the productivity and forecasting of the organization’s products and resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in Excel, Visio, MS Project, or one of their equivalents such as Open Project, Dia, and OpenOffice. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the role of databases and database management systems in managing organizational data and information.
- Design and implement a database solution to solve a proposed business problem.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the strategic implications and management of database systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to the strategic planning for database systems using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.