Write on this topic
STRATEGY TERM PROJECTS
The goal of the term project is to gain practice by using key strategic management concepts and processes and develop real experience in conducting a complete strategic management analysis of a company. The final project should primarily be a strategy consulting to a firm facing strategic issues in competitive market situation. This project must be a thorough strategic analysis and action plan of a firm competing in an industry. That is, the focus of the strategy project is to identify strategic problems after the analysis of external and internal environments of the business and provide implementation strategies in solving the problems.
Select one company you are interested in learning more about, or a company from an industry that intrigues you (topics are due/determined by the end of second week; check with the instructor before proceeding). Be sure to choose a company of which details are available to the public. For example, relevant data on all public firms can be obtained using web sites (e.g., annual reports, 10K reports and proxy statements from the Securities and Exchange Commission, newspaper articles, press releases, industry reports) and business databases such as Compustat and Industry Insights (feel free to consult with the business librarian or the instructor). You may also choose a smaller firm for which you have worked or where you know people, so you will have access to a broad range of data and information through diverse research methods, such as interviews of key managers in the firm.
During the first week session, you will be placed in teams. The length of the paper should be approximately 20 pages, double-spaced including references, tables and figures. Make sure that the paper has an executive summary and that it is divided into sections and subsections in a logical manner. Part of your grade will be based on each individual’s assessment of the relative contribution of each group member (please use peer evaluation form attached to this syllabus). The written paper should focus on the following points:
1. Introduction/Executive Summary.
● Brief introduction of the company and product(s)
● One or two key strategic issue(s) confronting the firm
● The objective of your project and the importance of the issue
2. External Environment and Industry Analysis.
● General environmental components that impact the industry and the firm: economic, political, cultural, technological, or legal forces, including global/international economy.
● Industry analysis: competitive structure, current and future competitors, customer needs and key stakeholders.
● Key analytical tools you can choose from 1) Porter’s Five Forces Model; 2) Stakeholder Analysis; 3) SWOT Analysis (primarily the OT portion); 4) Strategic Group Mapping; 5) Industry Key Success Factors