Refugees and/or Immigrants social work( social work110)
Social Work 110 requires all students to write a 5-6 page (including cover page, abstract, references, and annotated bibliography pages) scholarly research term paper on a field of service in the social work profession, in the American Psychological Association (APA) format.
What are the Literature Requirements?
- You will need at least one book or e-book
- Choose a book that focuses mainly on the field of service that you have chosen (textbooks can be used as a supplemental source, but not the main source).
- The course textbook from Social Work 110 cannot be used as a reference.
- The book should be written by a professional in the field of social work or a closely related field.
- You will need three scholarly articles – What is a scholarly article?
- A scholarly article is written by a professional and is usually contained in a professional journal.
- Social work journals and articles written for the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) are good examples of appropriate references.
- “Social Work Today” is an online/hard copy magazine that often has scholarly research articles available; it is available in the Cuyamaca Library.
- You can also use journal articles from other related professions such as psychology, psychiatry, nursing, pediatrics, and education.
- Articles, research, and statistics from the Federal Government are acceptable.
- You can also use e-scholarly articles.
- Popular culture magazines, newspaper articles, and websites are not appropriate for scholarly research (Examples: Wikipedia and about.com).
*Please be sure that all resources include author/s and dates. Undated books, articles, or websites will not be accepted.
Important Research Specifics
- All resources must be from the United States of America
- All resources must be no older than 2010. The date must be included!
Part I of the Research Term Paper
- Cover Page
- Literature Review
- Define Field of Service
- Target Population
- Practice Methods
- Social Worker Role
- The Topic Headings – Content of the Scholarly Research Term Paper
- Below are the topic headings as provided by San Diego State University for the “Literature Review” and “Field of Service.”
- A literature review is a way of organizing, summarizing, and critiquing a topic to inform the reader about a problem or issue.
- It allows you to examine the research question, topic, problem, or issue in greater detail by considering what other people’s’ writings and studies have shown.
Topic Headings for the Literature Review
- Define the field of service
- Drawing from the literature, describe in detail the following:
- What is the target population? (Who are the clients in need of service? Include information regarding the age ranges, gender, and socioeconomic status)
- What are the practice methods that social workers use in this field? Indicate micro and/or macro practice methods.
- What is the role of the social worker in this field?
rces must be no older than 2010. The date must be included.