Management Case 4
- Use single-spaced, 1” margins, Times New Roman, 12-point font with a maximum of 2 pages per assignment.
- Do not overuse bullet points. Elaborate and support your answers.
- Location of Cases. All cases are found in the textbook. The questions for each case are found under the Case Assignments tab in the Connect Course Page.
- Stay in the time frame of the case. Written assignments should present the situation as it exists at the time of the case, i.e., only use the information and data available from the case, not what you know now about the company. No outside research is necessary.
- No pre-review. Instructors will not review cases prior to submission.
- Grading includes quality of argument as well as consistency with answer key. There are right answers to most of the questions. Thus, this is not about your opinion but your accurate use of the frameworks and concepts presented in the class. That is, look at the case analyses as a practical test of your ability to use concepts to analyze and understand a complex situation. In addition, having the right answer but with a poor argument or incomplete evidence will also reduce your grade.
- Answer the questions provided. In your answer, include both the logic you used and evidence from the case to support your answer. Number your answers to correspond to the question you are answering.
1. In what ways has Ascena pursued a value enhancing/creating diversification path? In what ways, has the firm pursued diversification for non-value enhancing reasons?
2. Ascena has largely expanded by using acquisitions. Have they managed the acquisition process well? In other words, how have they made acquisitions work for them? How have they experienced the pitfalls of acquisitions?
3. In the end, what is your evaluation of Ascena’s corporate strategy?
4. What recommendations would you have for the firm?