How has freedom changed over time
Directions: – Please write a 3-4 page response to the following question. Responses should be typed in Times New Roman or Cambria, 12-point font, double spaced, with 1-inch margins on all sides.
- In his preface to the Voices of Freedom document reader, Eric Foner notes that “Freedom is not a fixed, timeless category with a single unchanging definition. Rather, the history of the United States is, in part, a story of debates, disagreements, and struggles over freedom.” Foner further contends that the documents “reflect how Americans at different points in history have defined freedom as an overarching idea, or have understood its many dimensions, including political, religious, economic, and personal freedom.” Select one document from Sources of Freedom from any three chapters that we have covered this semester (you need to analyze 3 documents total).
In your paper, analyze how the definition of freedom has changed over time based on the documents that you selected. Make sure to establish the historical context that surrounded the production of each document that you selected, and consider how the author’s race, gender, class, and/or occupation may have influenced his/her definition of freedom. Compare and contrast the authors’ definitions of freedom and comment on the significance of these definitions. What do they reveal about U.S. history generally, and about the time period in which they were written specifically?
You must cite each document that you selected AND Give Me Liberty, which you should use to establish historical context. Use the following in text citation format: Documents – (Author’s last name, “Title of Document,” date of original publication); Give Me Liberty – (Foner, Liberty, page number).
- Your paper should have a clear introduction with thesis statement that gives an overview of how the definition of freedom changed over time.
- Your paper should have a conclusion summarizing the significance of the changing definition of freedom in American history.
- 3 page minimum, 4 page maximum (this means at least 3 FULL – TO THE BOTTOM – pages)
- Typed – 12 point font, Times New Roman or Cambria
- 1 inch margins on all sides
- Double spaced
- Please write in the THIRD person (no “I” or “you”)
- Introduce all quotes with your own analysis – they should flow seamlessly as part of your sentence (see syllabus for example).
- Write in past tense
- Use active voice
- Use the following in text citation format: Documents – (Author’s last name, “Title of Document,” date of original publication); Give Me Liberty – (Foner, Liberty, page number).
- BE SURE TO PROOFREAD YOUR WORK! Spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and word usage count!
- Cite assigned course materials only!!!
- FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES WILL IMPACT YOUR GRADE!