Follow the requirement
Creative Project Assignment
In English classes we tend to focus on analysis and argumentation through papers and exams; however, there are many other ways a person can respond to and interpret a text. This creative project is your chance to explore a different mode of interpretation by imagining yourself as an author, by imagining yourself as a book publicist, or by imagining yourself as an illustrator.
If you choose this option, you will write an original short story related to the theme of growing up or developing personal identity using one of the techniques we’ve observed in our books this semester. Those include:
- A journey to significant places (including a map of the journey)
- Short but vivid descriptions of people and everyday events in a neighborhood
- A comic strip that combines images and text to tell a story
- Fantasy or supernatural elements combined with daily life
- Two main characters telling a story in alternating first-person voices
- Letters back and forth between two characters
Your creative writing should be 3 pages long double spaced (or 3 pages of comic strip). It can be fiction or based on real life (yours or someone you know – with names changed if you want).
You must also include a one paragraph reflection at the end that discusses which technique you picked from the list, why you picked it, and why you think it is or is not effective in telling a story now that you’ve tried it yourself. Talk about how doing this creative writing helped you learn or understand something more about a book/theme from this class.