I need a 3 page essay for Porter’s Five Competitive Forces for the Amazon.com company
Before completing this assignment, review the Final Project Document breakout items below.
As you analyze your assigned company, you should understand how competitive forces shape corporate strategy. A typical way for an organization to strategically analyze these factors is to conduct a five forces analysis of their organization. Corporate leadership can use this tool, to successfully analyze and identify a clear sense of the organization’s strategic vision. This focus is important because of the requirement for improved business understanding in a rapidly changing global environment. Some of the main strategic management questions asked are, where is the organization now, and where will the organization be 1, 3, 5, or even 10 years from now? Moreover, where will the organization be if no business changes are made? While looking at these questions, leadership must not only take action (especially if the answers are unacceptable), but also weigh the risks and payoffs. Smaller businesses may engage in strategic management to ensure that they adapt to trends and external changes such as globalization.
By definition, strategic management is a process in which an organization develops and implements plans that promote the goals and objectives of that particular organization. The overall process of strategic management is continuous, and it changes as the organizational goals and objectives evolve. The strategic management process begins when executives evaluate their current position with respect to the company’s mission, goals, and strategies. Managers then scan the organization’s internal and external environments and identify strategic issues that may require change. Internal or external events may indicate a need to redefine the mission or goals or to formulate a new strategy at the corporate, business, or functional level. The final stage in the strategic management process is execution of the new strategy. It is now time to take an analytical look at the forces and structure that shape effective strategic decision-making.
For this Assignment, you will complete the following:
- After reviewing the Porter’s Five Competitive Forces , conduct a detailed Five Forces analysis for your assigned company. Your analysis should be thorough, incorporate scholarly research, and cover:
- Corporate Threats of New Entrants
- Corporate Threat of Substitutes
- Supplier Power
- Buyer Power
- And, Competitive Rivalry
Illustration of Porter’s 5 Forces. By Grahams Child [GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], from Wikimedia Commons
Your deliverables include:
- A 3 page written analysis; APA formatted MS Word document.
- Written evaluation for each force highlighted above. Justification should be supported by scholarly evidence (i.e. – peer-reviewed journal articles; 10K report, etc.).
This is an individual, not a team, assignment.
This analysis covers section III of the Final Project.
III. Corporate Level Strategy Analysis
A. Identify corporate level strategy (i.e. related/unrelated diversification, vertical/horizontal integration, etc.)
B. Identify strategic business units/divisions
C. Analyze the relationship among the company’s businesses units/divisions
1. Do the business units’/divisions’ trade or exchange resources? Why? How?
2. Or, is the company just running a portfolio of investments? Explain.
Final Project Assignment break out – Strategic Management Evidence Section
The final project (both presentation and report) is designed to give student teams the opportunity to investigate, provide evidence of, and critique the strategies of a pre-assigned publicly traded organization. Students will become familiar with the assigned firm’s mission, history, organizational structure, culture, corporate/business/functional strategies, and internal controls, as well as the internal/external/competitive/regulatory/geopolitical environments in which the organization exists. Conclusions and recommendations regarding long-term competitive advantage will be required.
The BUS499 Capstone final project is based primarily on the ORIGINAL analysis of the tools that the learner creates from EVIDENCE discovered in the organization’s 10k, other internal documents and supported by credible external sources.
Lifelong Learning: Looking beyond this project, it is important to note that this type of strategic thinking and analysis will serve the students well as they explore and identify opportunities in the organizations for which they now work, take leadership control of a new or existing organization, or research a company when applying for jobs.
* A word of caution: The assigned organizations are all publically traded companies on the DJIA. Therefore, there is a great deal of published analysis and information available on the Web. This assignment is NOT a review of someone else’s analysis. The integration of such external analysis, even if cited, will result in a failing grade. *
Required Products (Tools) Created from Research & Analysis
- Porter’s Five Forces
Learners are to populate these products with evidence that was discovered in their research before writing the independent report and creating the team presentation.
Required Research Sources:
- Organization’s 10k, internal publications, and marketing material
- Review this video Porter’s Five Competitive Forces (Video file, 13 min 11 sec)
- Porter, The Five Competitive Forces That Shape Strategy – http://vlib.excelsior.edu/login?url=http://search….
Suggested additional sources of information:
- Business databases through the Excelsior libraries
- McKinsey Quarterly (0047-5394) https://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/home.aspx
- Harvard Business Review (0017-8012)
- HBS Working Knowledge http://hbswk.hbs.edu/
- New York Times
- Wall Street Journal
- The Economist
- Other instructor-approved sources
Things to Remember!
✓ Write a 3 page written analysis.
✓ Written evaluation for each force highlighted above. Justification should be supported by scholarly evidence (i.e. – peer-reviewed journal articles; 10K report, etc.).
✓ Use Times New Roman, 12-point font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins, with APA-formatted (6th ed.) in-text citations and references for all resources.
✓ Check and correct any spelling or grammatical errors in your document prior to submitting it for evaluation.
✓ Use EC Library resources:
Compose your work using a word processor (or other software as appropriate) and save it frequently to your computer. When you’re ready to submit your work, click Browse My Computer and find your file. Once you’ve located your file click Open and, if successful, the file name will appear under the Attached files heading. Scroll to the bottom of the page, click Submit and you’re done.
Please be aware that papers in this course may be reviewed by anti-plagiarism software. Please review the EC policies on Academic Honesty and Plagiarism.
This assignment is due by the second Sunday of Module 6 (week 12 of 15).
This assignment addresses the following Module Outcomes:
- Survey business opportunities based on the chosen strategy, location, demand potential and demographic details. (CO# 5, 9, 10, and 13)
- Recommend ideas for the business organization, its financial and capital requirements, its organizational structure, its management and marketing planning. (CO# 5, 9, 10, and 13)
Review the SBT M6A1 Strategic Analysis Rubric by clicking on the “View Rubric” button at the top of this page, or by going to the “Start Here-Course Information” section of the course to see more information on grading criteria. This assignment makes up 5% of the total course grade.