CTC Emancipation Proclamation Transcript Discussion & Response
- Read Lesson 7 Chapters 13 & 14 and the Emancipation Proclamation Transcript. Once all reading is complete, respond to the following items:In early 1863, President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation.
- Why did Lincoln decide to issue the Proclamation at this particular time?
- What factors determined this decision?
- What did the President hope to gain?
- What were the limitations of the Proclamation, and what was its larger historical significance?
- Lincoln decided to issue the Emancipation Proclamation Transcript at this particular time, is because it was during the civil war, which was sparked by wanting to end slavery. The American Civil War was from April 12, 1861 – April 9, 1865 over 600,000 men died over that 4 year span.I believe that there were many reasons why Lincoln issued the Proclamation one of them was that he had a history of showing that he didn’t like to lose. Another reason why is I felt that Lincoln was scared that Britain would view the Confederacy as a country, so Lincoln wanted to stay away from that by encouraging anti-slavery public opinion. Lincoln hoped to gain the ending of slavery before his term as president came to a finish which happened. Also he seen it as an opportunity to encourage war efforts and boost moral amongst the U.S especially with so many casualties. It was really to give hope to the ones who did not have hope. The limitations to the Proclamation was that it only freed slaves in rebellious states like, South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Unless the Union won the war, the Proclamation was nothing but a piece of paper. The larger historical significance was to free all the slaves in the U.S