Conducting a Community Risk Analysis
Week 1 assignments, pretty low key and a simple introduction into what will become heavier topics throughout the remaining 4 weeks.
“Unit 1 Discussion board 2 asks you to go into the scope of the definitions. How far do they go, what do they cover. Go beyond a simple definition. Do not write less than the minimum word count. You may exceed the maximum.” -prof
Write 400–600 words or more that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
- What do you think is the scope of the definitions of the terms risks, threats, and hazards? Explain.
- How do you think these concepts should be utilized within the emerging discipline of homeland security? Explain in detail.
Conduct a risk assessment on a community of your choice, with specific focus on a specific facility or system within that community that you determine is part of the broader community’s critical infrastructure (e.g., hospital, water system, power system). You should select the community (town, city, county, region, state, or nation) considering the availability of information that exists or your access to information (e.g., your ability to interview community leaders).
- Address the following in 2-3 pages or more:
- Describe (briefly) the community and why you selected it (e.g., demographics, topography/geography, climate, criticality of CI, political issues).
- Outline the risk portfolio of the selected community (e.g., flood zones; high-value terror target).
- How did you compile that list?
- What other risk portfolio and assessments for the community exist (e.g., local hazard mitigation plan, DHS assessments)? Explain.
- Describe the critical facility or system that you selected, and describe why it is critical to the selected community.
- What are the possible/probable outcomes of the risks that you identified as occurring as they relate to the whole community and, in greater detail, to the specific infrastructure you selected? Explain in detail.
- What are the possible/probable cascading effects at the local, regional, national, or international level should one of the risks occur and affect the critical facility/infrastructure you selected? Explain in detail.
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.