Select a film or television show that depicts domestic violence. Draft a 3-5 page paper providing a plot summary/synopsis and theory analysis of the depiction of domestic violence. Please submit saved final submission to the Assignment folder as “Last Nam
Directions: Select a film or television show that depicts domestic violence. Draft a 3-5 page paper providing a plot summary/synopsis and theory analysis of the depiction of domestic violence. Please submit saved final submission to the Assignment folder as “Last Name_Media” (Example: Kofman_Media) Please review and utilize the rubric below. Your paper will be graded based directly on the rubric.
Film suggestions (not mandatory, can use other films)
- A Cry for Help: The Tracey Thurman Story (1989)
- Affliction (1999)
- American Beauty (1999)
- Bastard Out of Carolina (1996)
- Burning Bed, The (1984)
- Carousel (1956)
- Color Purple, The (1985)
- Cries Unheard: The Donna Yaklich Story (1994)
- Crimes of the Heart (1986)
- Dangerous Intentions (1995)
- Dead by Sunset (1995)
- Deadly Matrimony (1991)
- Defending Our Lives (1983)
- Diary of a Mad Housewife (1970)
- Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (2002)
- Enough (2002)
- Escape from Terror: The Teresa Stamper Story (1995)
- Fatal Vows: The Alexandra O’Hara Story (1994)
- Final Appeal (1993)
- Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)
MEDIA REVIEW PROJECT RUBRIC
Utilized film depicting domestic violence
Summary (3-4 paragraphs) (25 pts.)
· Description/summary of film plot
· Summary should address the following areas:
1. When was the film made (date)?
2. What is the film genre (ex- comedy, drama)?
3. What is the point of the film?
4. What is the setting (ex – city, country, etc)
5. Who are the main characters?
6. What challenges/issues do the main characters face? Do they overcome the challenges/issues?
Analysis (6-8 paragraphs) (50 pts.)
· Theory analysis of the domestic violence depicted in the film, including:
-Define and describe the theory/theories that may apply (For example, Power and Control)
-Examine how the theory/theories apply to the depiction of domestic violence
-MUST provide at least 3 examples utilizing class materials and/or outside resources (academic/scholarly articles and/or newspaper articles (can include online resources such as CNN, HuffingtonPost) supporting your analysis
Content, clarity, and organization of ideas (20 pts.)
· Introduction and concluding paragraph
· Grammar and spelling
· APA citations, formatting and reference page