Vision and Goals
By the time you complete this final assignment, you will have gained a lot more knowledge and insights about your interests in psychology and your career trajectory. To begin this assignment, take some time to reflect on all you have learned about the field and ways you can contribute to psychology.
- What aspects of your research affected your vision or goals? Given this, what topics do you think you would be interested in researching in the future?
- How was your vision affected by the career information in your readings from your Career Paths in Psychology text and your exploration of the Career Center and other resources?
Revise and refine the vision statement and long-term goals that you developed earlier in response to the feedback you have received and your studies in this course. Update your Articulating Your Purpose activity to help support these revisions.
Professional Competencies and Requirements
Understanding the competencies and responsibilities involved with your future career in psychology is essential for preparing yourself to become a practitioner-scholar in your field. It is also necessary to understand any requirements needed for your specialized practice and scholarship.
For this step in the assignment, analyze the competencies, responsibilities, ethical considerations, and other requirements needed for achieving your vision and goals as a professional in psychology. These may include:
- Capella program and specialization requirements.
- Skills, abilities, and attitudes critical to success in the field of psychology, such as those related to critical thinking, decision making, problem solving, evidence-based practices, ethical integrity, cultural competence, and conflict resolution.
- Make note of skills, abilities, and attitudes related to the practitioner-scholar model and the experience you had in researching scholarly sources in your last assignment.
- Credentialing, certification, licensure, and accreditation practices and standards.
- Ethical codes, principles, laws, and policies applicable to your chosen career path.
Reflect on your current competencies, previous experiences, and achievements that help you meet those requirements. Since you are at the beginning of your journey to a future career, you will have gaps in required knowledge, skills, attitudes, and credentials. Identify any areas in which you need further development to achieve your goals and vision as a psychology practitioner-scholar.
With all this knowledge of your vision and goals, and the competencies and requirements for the field in hand, you are ready to plot your course to making these aspirations a reality. The final step in this assignment is to create a revised action plan to achieve your goals. This means translating the requirements for your profession and the development areas you identified into specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timed (SMART) steps to achieve your vision.
Include these elements in your action plan:
- Completion of your Capella program.
- Possible opportunities for additional training or volunteer work to address gaps in your knowledge or skills.
- Possible opportunities in your current position to develop additional skills through coaching or stretch assignments.
- Capella Community groups and professional organizations that you could join for networking with others and completing additional informational interviews.
- How you will stay current with the research and literature in the field.
- How you can apply what you have learned in this course about researching psychological literature and evaluating it in terms of reliability, credibility, ethics, and value.
- How you will apply critical thinking and effective decision making as a psychologist.
- How you will use Capella’s support resources to develop the skills required to successfully develop your writing and other competencies essential to the profession and your role as a graduate learner.
At this point, there may be an overwhelming number of steps that you could complete to work toward your vision. If it helps you work through this plan, focus on major milestones and requirements as well as steps you can take during your Capella degree program to help translate your vision into SMART short-term goals and tasks.
If you feel the need for more input, review the SMART Goals presentation and Career Center resources or search the Capella library or the Internet for additional reflective exercises and inspiring ideas about transforming your vision into an action plan.
Example assignment: You may use the assignment example, linked in the Resources, to give you an idea of what a Proficient or higher rating on the scoring guide would look like.
Your assignment should also meet the following requirements:
- Template: Use the Your Career in Psychology Template to format your assignment.
- Length: 7–9 typed and double-spaced content pages in Times New Roman 12-point font. The title page, abstract, and reference list are not included in this length.
- References: Include a minimum of five references with at least three of them from course readings. Your references may include both scholarly literature and practitioner sources. All references need to be cited in-text, according to current APA standards, and listed in the reference list. Remember that citations are to support your thoughts, not take the place of them!
- Written communication: Must be clear, with correct spelling, grammar, and syntax and with good organization.
- Writing style: APA expectations for scholarly writing include the use of third-person narrative, unless it is awkward to do so. However, because you are talking about yourself in this paper, you may write in the first person.
- APA formatting: Must be formatted according to APA style and formatting and include a title page, abstract, and reference list. Note that these three elements are not counted toward the length of your assignment.