Discussions questions about 4-5 paragraphs in Part 1 and 2 pages in part 2
Drawing from the selected articles, briefly respond to the following questions,
- Read first the selected articles before doing this assignment
- From your own experience, and the selected articles, are there essential differences in the ways, Minority groups (African American in particular) and, White families socialize and educate their children? Explain.
- Is education linked to social mobility? If yes, does the broadening of access to educational opportunities make our society more equal?
- If the general education level of the population increases, do you think that the distinction between rich and poor will disappear? Why? Why not?
- How many percentage of the population in the U.S. with regard to ethnic make-ups do you think are functionally illiterate? And how does it impact an individual’s or a group’s ability to access resources available in society?
- From the articles, what is the quality and value of grades and diplomas given in mainly Black or non-white educational institutions in our society today?
- From the articles, how segregated are the schools? And why are schools slow in closing gaps between the races?
- Is there racism in education in the U.S.? If yes, what are the consequences? Support your position with evidence from the articles.
- From the articles, New York City schools are considered the most segregated in the nation, why?
- Since these articles were published, have much changed from your observation and experience in our school systems, black communities in particular?
* Limit your answer to part 1 to 4- 5 paragraphs
- Drawing from sociological perspectives covered in this class, how would you explain the articles?(Think of the following perspectives: Functionalism, Conflict, Symbolic interactionism, Rational Choice, Feminist). Which perspectives reflect best your position on the problems discussed in the articles?And, why?
- Which strategies or solutions would you propose toward reducing if not eliminating segregation, discrimination and prejudice in our educational school systems? And, why?
* Limit your answer to part 2 to 2 pages.