For your final paper you will be writing a 4-6 page (not including the title and reference pages) research paper on a childhood psychological disorder. See the list of disorders below as possible options. Please note that many of these disorders can also be experienced in adulthood. For this paper you will specifically be examining these in relation to childhood onset.
In your paper you will need to pull information from a minimum of 3 sources in addition to your textbook. When writing this paper remember that it is a research paper, which means that all of our information should be pulled from your sources and not based on personal experience or opinion. With this in mind there should be ample in-text citations throughout your paper as you give credit to the sources of your information.
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Adjustment disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Conduct disorder
- Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder
- Eating disorder (anorexia or bulimia)
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Intellectual disability
- Oppositional defiant disorder
The following points should be covered in your paper:
- Definition of disorder
- Symptomology (specific to what is seen in childhood onset)
- How is the disorder diagnosed (make sure to refer to the DSM-V when discussing diagnosis)
- Analyze the etiology (causes) of the disorder from a biopsychosocial perspective making sure to clearly address all three components of this perspective.
- Analyze this disorder form a developmental perspective including:
- How living with this disorder will impact continued development through childhood and adolescence
- How living with this disorder will impact their family life (i.e. relationship with parents and siblings)
- How the cognitive and/or behavioral deficits related to the disorder will impact their educational development
- Treatment options (specific to treatment during childhood)
- Steps parents can take to help their child cope with this disorder
- Short-term prognosis
- Long-term prognosis
When organizing and writing this paper please use headings related to each of the above points. This paper should be a total of 4-6 pages double spaced and written in proper APA or Chicago/Turabian format. In addition to the minimum page count (i.e. 4 pages and 1 line minimum) you should also include a cover page and a reference page in APA or Chicago/Turabian format. Finally use a minimum of 3 additional sources in addition to your textbook to support your points.